For dry and damaged skin, there’s a massive market of healing salves, replenishing creams, and body butters to choose from.
But many lotions contain ingredients like parabens, silicones, synthetic perfumes, and even formaldehyde. That’s why it's important to carefully consider the ingredients used on – and absorbed by – your skin.
In addition to being a more environmentally-friendly option, discover why organic body lotion is a better way to leave skin softer, smoother, and healthier.
1. Organic Lotion Ingredients Encourage Healthy Skin
“Organic" skincare products must contain at least 70% organic ingredients (not including water or salt). The following are just a handful of natural ingredients that can be found in various organic lotions:
- Tea tree oil (Melaleuca alternifolia) combats redness, inflammation, and breakouts.
- Shea butter (Butyrospermum parkii) has intensive moisturizing properties and improves dryness, flakiness, and redness.
- Oats (like colloidal oatmeal) help to calm skin irritations caused by eczema, dryness, and even insect bites.
- Sunflower oil (Helianthus annuus) is packed with vitamin E, highly absorbent, and non-comedogenic (doesn’t clog pores).
- Aloe vera (Aloe barbadensis) fights bacteria and soothes inflammation, redness, and itchy skin.
- Vitamin C fights signs of aging while tightening the skin.
- Vitamin E (often sourced from Tocopheryl acetate) is an antioxidant and intensive moisturizer.
- Witch hazel helps to fight excess oil while simultaneously moisturizing.
Our Organic Hand & Body Lotion contains 99.95% natural ingredients.
2. Organic Lotion Avoids Synthetic Endocrine Disruptors
In clinical studies on mice and human tissue, endocrine disruptors show clear signs of either mimicking or inhibiting hormone function. These disruptors can be found in all sorts of everyday products, including cosmetics, personal care, plastic, and even processed food products.
These cheap and effective preservatives are found in a variety of beauty products.
In a 2005 study, short-term butylparaben use was determined to have adverse effects on male rats’ reproductive systems. Other side effects of paraben use include pain, itchiness, and even GI tract irritation (if ingested).
Phthalates are typically found in plastic bottles, synthetic fragrances, household cleaners, personal care products, medical devices, and PVC materials. Phthalates have been linked to certain types of cancers, early-onset puberty, obesity, and development in male infants.
Get the best tips from the cleaning obsessed.
Puracy crafts cleaning & care items that work really well. Our obsession with natural cleaning performance is our profession, and we're here to share it with you.
In body lotions, phthalates (either from the fragrances or leached plastic bottles) can be absorbed topically.
Bisphenol A (BPA)
Used in the production of certain plastics, various BPA studies have linked exposure to brain, behavior, and prostate gland issues in infants and children.
3. Organic Lotion Supports the Skin's Natural Moisturizing Properties
The right balance of natural oils and vitamins support the healthy functioning of your skin, promote wound healing, and help restore the stratum corneum (the outermost layer of skin).
But not all natural or organic products are created equally. The stratum corneum has a high content of longer chain free fatty acids and C-18 unsaturated free fatty acids (e.g. linoleic acid). Based on its higher proportion of linoleic acid, organic sunflower seed oil functions better to repair the outer layer of skin than, say, olive oil.
4. Organic Lotion Doesn’t Contain Synthetic Materials or Contaminants
The following chemicals are commonly found in mainstream lotions and other personal care products:
Preservatives like BHA and BHT are found in creams, sunscreens, and personal products with synthetic fragrances. Studies have linked them with organ toxicity, reproductive toxicity, and skin irritation.
Small doses of formaldehyde are sometimes used as a preservative in personal care products. However, formaldehyde is a known carcinogen, as well as a severe respiratory irritant that can cause damage to the central nervous system.
Though these low concentrations aren’t considered hazardous by regulatory bodies, we don’t believe they have any place in skin care. That’s why Puracy uses natural, plant-based preservatives (like Ethylhexylglycerin and Phenoxyethanol) which are just as effective and remove all unnecessary health risks.
5. Organic Lotion Doesn't Contain Artificial Fragrances or Perfumes
Artificial fragrances are found in the majority of personal care products. Due to an FDA loophole, companies aren’t required to list chemicals used in fragrances in an effort to protect signature scents. That makes it difficult to understand exactly what chemicals are included in your lotion.
All Puracy products are delicately scented with organic essential oils. Our Organic Baby Lotion is delicately scented with lavender and pink grapefruit while our Organic Hand & Body Lotion is unscented.
Choose Puracy Organic Body Lotion for Radiant Skin
Made from organic ingredients like aloe vera, shea butter, and jojoba oil, each of our body lotions naturally soothe skin to restore balance and comfort.