Sunscreen is an essential part of summer, but how do you get rid of oily, greasy sunscreen stains on clothes and other surfaces? Follow this guide for step-by-step instructions, as well as tips and tricks for keeping stains off your favorite items for good.
How to Remove Sunscreen Stains from Clothing
Follow these steps for removing sunscreen stains from washable fabrics.
- Turn the item inside out and run it under cold water.
- Create a solution of warm water and Dish Soap. Blot it gently on the affected area, starting outside and working inside.
- Thoroughly rinse the item with cold water.
- Wash the item according to its fabric care instructions.
How to Remove Sunscreen Stains from Carpet
Tackle oily stains on your carpet using these steps.
- Blot any remaining sunscreen using a clean towel or cloth.
- Sprinkle baking soda on the affected area and let it sit for at least 20 minutes.
- Vacuum or scrape off any remaining baking soda.
- Take a clean towel and gently blot the stain with an enzyme-based stain remover. Blot until the solution is fully absorbed.
How to Remove Sunscreen from Upholstery
Follow these steps to remove stains on fabrics that are not machine washable.
- Create a solution of 1 teaspoon Dish Soap, 1 tablespoon white vinegar, and 1 cup warm water in a spray bottle.
- Add 1 teaspoon baking soda and immediately close the bottle as this will cause bubbles to quickly form.
- Spray the solution on a clean white cloth and gently blot the affected area.
- Let the affected area air dry.
More Tips for Removing Sunscreen Stains
Follow these tips for even more effective stain removal.
You can combine white vinegar with cool water to tackle sunscreen stains on leather. Use a microfiber cloth for best results.
If you get sunscreen on microfiber, you can spray the stain with rubbing alcohol. Then gently lift the stain using a sponge.
Avoid Oxygenated and Chlorine Bleach
These two types of bleaches can have a negative reaction with avobenzone, a common sunscreen ingredient, resulting in the stain setting even deeper.
Tackle All Your Unexpected Summer Stains with Natural, Plant-Powered Formulas
Whether you’re dealing with sunscreen or grass stains, turn to our Natural Stain Remover for an effective formula fueled by plant-powered enzymes, guaranteed to handle your toughest stains and blemishes. Color-safe and non-caustic, our Stain Remover was specifically developed to remove all stains, nasty odors, and mysterious blemishes from all types of fabrics.