Written by Stacey Kelleher.
Reviewed by Board-Certified Pediatrician Dr. Ryan Blackman DO, FAAP.
From bathrooms to burp cloths, bleach is a cleaning and disinfecting “heavy-hitter” that's often used to neutralize life’s toughest messes. But the potential dangers of bleach could actually outweigh many of its benefits – especially with small children and pets at home.
If using bleach is part of your regular cleaning routine, here are a few reasons to consider swapping it for safer alternatives (that are just as effective).
What Is Bleach?
Bleach is a large group of compounds that are used in a variety of ways. There are, however, two kinds of bleach:
Sodium hypochlorite is the active ingredient in chlorine bleach and can be found in many household disinfectants. It breaks down the chemical bonds that create pigment or color and makes them non-reactive to visible light. By chemically altering the molecules in stains, they no longer reflect light the same way. This is how bleach makes white fabrics appear lighter and brighter.
Bleach also has antimicrobial properties. Hypochlorous acid in chlorine bleach disrupts bacteria proteins until they become ineffective – similar to how hypochlorous acid in our immune cells target viruses.
Non-chlorine based bleach (i.e. oxygen bleach) works in a similar way. When the peroxide in oxygen bleach breaks down after water exposure, it releases free radicals that dismantle/oxidize other molecules so they become colorless.
When it comes to removing stains, oxygen bleach isn’t as powerful as chlorine bleach, but it is gentler on fabrics. The hydrogen peroxide within oxygen bleach also kills viruses, mold and bacteria.
You Don’t Need Bleach for a Cleaner Home
With all of the possible risks of using bleach, it makes sense to consider using safer cleaning products. And that’s exactly why we’ve created the 2-in-1 Puracy Disinfecting Surface Cleaner.
Get the best tips from the cleaning obsessed.
Puracy crafts cleaning & care items that work really well. Our obsession with natural cleaning performance is our profession, and we're here to share it with you.
Our hydrogen peroxide disinfectant cleans visible grime and stickiness without leaving residue behind. When used correctly, it also eradicates more than 99.99% of bacteria and viruses like:
- Rhinovirus (ie. common cold)
- Influenza (e.g. influenza A, H1N1)
- Pseudomonas (pseudomonas aeruginosa)
- E. coli (escherichia coli)
- Staph (staphylococcus aureus)
- Listeria (listeria monocytogenes)
- Trichophyton (trichophyton mentagrophytes)
What Is Bleach Used For?
Bleach is primarily used to:
- Clean and disinfect surfaces
- Control and kill algae, bacteria, mold, mildew, and viruses
- Lighten and/or whiten fabrics and surfaces
Is Bleach Toxic?
Bleach has been a staple in many household cupboards for generations. But bleach toxicity does carry some risk – especially if you have young children and pets in your home.
“In a study published in the Journal of Pediatrics, over a 16-year period, more than 250,000 children under 5 were rushed to the ER for household cleaner exposure.”
Dr. Blackman continues: “The most common exposure was bleach, either through ingestion or spray bottle accidents. Children under 3 were found to be particularly at risk. Keeping bleach and other dangerous chemicals out of your household – and out of reach of children – is smart planning for parents with young children.”
Is Using Bleach Safe Around Pets?
Bleach exposure can be toxic to pets. Since they’re curious by nature, animals often get into things they shouldn’t. If you’re cleaning the floor with a bleach solution and leave the room for a moment, your pet may lick the wet floor or even take a drink from the bucket. Just because the floor has dried doesn’t mean that licking bleach residue is safe either.
While small quantities of diluted bleach aren’t usually fatal for pets, they can certainly be irritating. Concentrated bleach – especially professional forms – is more dangerous and can cause painful lesions on the skin, stomach, and esophagus. These can take weeks or months to heal.
Effects of Bleach on the Human Microbiome
A diverse microbiome helps to support our immune system and produce essential vitamins our body uses to function well. Poor diets, antibiotics, and the overuse of disinfectants are a few reasons that we have less contact with these important microbes.
Bleach might impact the human microbiome, or the “good” microorganisms which live in (and on) our bodies in perfect harmony. These bacteria, fungi, and viruses actually help us stay healthy in a variety of ways. Researchers are exploring the concept of compromised microbiomes leading to health conditions including allergies, celiac disease, inflammatory diseases, and obesity.
Direct Bleach Side Effects
Exposure to bleach can happen through breathing, ingestion, or skin contact. Upon direct contact, bleach reacts with biological tissues, causing irritation and cell breakdown. This is especially true for more sensitive tissue in the eyes, respiratory tract, and skin.
Depending on how you were exposed, you might experience:
- Red, tearing, or irritated eyes
- Blurry vision
- Throat irritation
- Skin irritation
- Coughing, wheezing, or shortness of breath
The Dangers of Combining Bleach with Other Chemicals
Indirect reactions occur when bleach is mixed with other chemicals (like ammonia) which can create more toxic chemicals. The side effects depend on the chemicals that are involved.
Bleach is highly-reactive. When combined with other chemicals found in many household cleaners, the results can be extremely serious. Be aware of ingredients found in your cleaning products: Inadvertently mixing them can be dangerous.
Bleach and Ammonia
When the sodium hypochlorite in chlorine bleach is mixed with ammonia, it produces toxic chlorine gas, which can lead to:
- Coughing and shortness of breath
- Chest pain and wheezing
- Eye, nose, and throat irritation
Ammonia is commonly found in glass cleaners, paints, as well as human and animal urine. Therefore, avoid using bleach to clean litter boxes and diaper pails.
Bleach and Acids
Many common household cleaning products contain acids, including glass cleaners, dishwasher detergents, drain cleaners, and toilet cleaners. Mixing these products with bleach can release chlorine gas which can cause:
- Breathing problems
- Chest pain
- Eye, nose, and throat irritation
Bleach and Alcohol
By mixing alcohol and chlorine bleach, you risk creating chloroform and hydrochloric acid:
Chloroform irritates the eyes and skin and can cause serious damage to the nervous system and bodily organs. At certain levels, it acts as a sedative, causing a person to pass out. Sudden, fatal cardiac arrhythmia has also been linked to chloroform exposure. If you suspect chloroform exposure, immediately leave the contaminated area and seek medical attention.
Hydrochloric acid is highly toxic to humans and exposure can cause a host of serious health problems, depending on the type of exposure (e.g. skin contact, inhalation, ingestion). The most concerning side effects include damage to mucous membranes, severe chemical burns, and pulmonary edema.
Is Puracy Disinfecting Cleaner Safe?
Puracy prides itself on being totally transparent about its ingredients. So how does Puracy Disinfecting Surface Cleaner's safety record stack up against bleach?
This product isn’t a known skin irritant, but certain individuals may experience irritation or itching. Simply rinse with lukewarm water for five minutes (or until the product is flushed away).
If this cleaner gets sprayed directly into the eyes, it may cause stinging, itching, or irritation. Remove contacts (if present) and apply flowing, lukewarm water for 15 minutes while holding eyelids open.
Health injuries are not expected if this product is ingested. Do not induce vomiting and ensure that the person drinks large amounts of water. If vomiting occurs, contact poison control or seek medical attention.
Though no health symptoms are expected from inhalation, seek medical attention if you are concerned or feel unwell.
Note: No matter what types of cleaning products you use, it’s always best to keep them out of the reach of children and pets.
When Should I Use Bleach?
Though there are rare instances, bleach certainly may have a place in your home:
- White towels that have become moldy and mildewy
- Pool systems
- Mold remediation
- Disinfectant (if you’ve run out of your usual one)
The Benefits of Using Puracy Disinfecting Surface Cleaner
Our hydrogen peroxide-based cleaner a great bleach replacement – and it does things that bleach simply can’t:
It's Safe for Greywater and Septic Systems
Our hydrogen peroxide disinfectant is biodegradable and designed to be used in homes with greywater and septic systems.
It Can Be Used as a Food Wash
Due to its gentle, biodegradable formula, our product has been approved for use as a food wash in organic food kitchens. Spray fruits and vegetables, let the product sit for a minute, and your food is safe to eat (rinsing is optional).
It Can Be Safely Combined with Any Puracy Cleaner
We’ve designed our disinfecting spray as an incredibly effective cleaner and disinfectant – and you won’t have to worry about mixing two reactive chemical formulas. Use the entire range of Puracy cleaning products without the risk of adverse reactions (like toxic gases).
Choose Puracy Products for a Cleaner Home
At Puracy, we’re always looking for new ways to make life easier and safer. With all of our home, personal care, baby, and pet products, you’ll never have to worry about exposing your loved ones to toxic chemicals. We’re so confident that you’ll love our products, we offer a 100% Pure Love Guarantee.